Looking for questions to find your ikigai?
Yukari Mitsuhashi’s delightful book, ‘IKIGA – Giving Every Day Meaning’ offers a practical guide to understanding ikigai and relating the concept to your work, interests and day to day life.
The book includes 6 case studies of Japanese who share and discuss what their ikigai means to them. Best of all, the book offers the reader a way to find their ikigai with a list of thought-provoking questions, which I have listed below.
I highly recommend this book along with Ken Mogi’s book, The Little Book of Ikigai. Both books will give you insight into what ikigai means to the Japanese.
Ikigai is the action we take in pursuit of happiness
– Yukari Mitsuhashi
Questions to Find Your Ikigai
Ask yourself and take time to answers these questions about your past, present, future.
– Going back to my childhood, what did I enjoy the most?
– What events or incidents from my childhood do I remember strongly? Do they still affect me today?
– Looking back at my life, what will the memorable moments when my emotions were stirred?
Your Life Now
– What brings happiness to my everyday life?
– When do I feel happiest?
– What is the most fulfilling way but I spend my time?
– What puts a smile on my face just thinking about it?
– When have I experienced strong emotions? When do I find myself moved, and by want?
– Where does my curiosity lie?
– What keeps me from being bored?
– What aspects of my life do I seek change in?
– What is something I do even though no one asks me to?
– What would I still pursue even if the rest of the world didn’t understand?
– What would I continue to do even if I had enough money to live happily ever after?
– What events do I look forward to in the future?
– What changes do I wish for in the future? What can I do about them?
– What makes me want to be alive to see tomorrow?
Now, It’s Up To You
If you want to find your ikigai I urge to take the time to reflect on these questions and take the time, several days, to answer them. If you just skim over them then you won’t get any closer to finding your ikigai.
IKIGAI – Giving Every Day Meaning and Joy
This is a delightful little book. It is an easy read, but delves deep, explaining what ikigai is, how you can find it, and how you can action it in your interests and work.
The interviews in the book show you a realistic application of how Japanese use ikigai in their daily lives, which is both helpful and insightful. If you want to find your ikigai, this book will help.